The mission of Youth Leadership Hendricks County is to seek, prepare, and develop potential young leaders from diverse backgrounds, and instill within them a commitment to responsible involvement in community and county-wide challenges.
The primary purpose of Youth Leadership Hendricks County is to develop leadership potential, foster civic awareness, and promote responsible volunteerism among county youth.
Goals and Outcomes
Nurture the leadership potential of students through the understanding and practice of five leadership behaviors:
- support others,
- excellence, and
- motivate others.
Expand the civic awareness of students through exposure to the Hendricks County Community:
- visiting key Hendricks County industries and services,
- meeting and networking with adult leaders, and
- engaging with the community to experience effects on their lives.
Encourage responsible volunteerism through:
- awareness of community needs, and
- volunteer opportunities
A maximum of 5 students accepted from each of the 6 public schools
A maximum of 5 non-public or home school students accepted
Students must be entering their sophomore year of high school
Schools determine participants; however, we strongly suggest the following student breakdown goal:
- 1 top student
- 3 students with leadership potential
- 1 student who needs a little direction or inspiration and would greatly benefit from the leadership training
- both male and female students
Schools are to send us 5 students (if we need an alternate, we will contact the school)
Schools are responsible for informing students not accepted to the program
- Schools are supportive of the program…financially, as well as allowing students excused absences
- If school is cancelled, program is cancelled and not made up
- If school is delayed, we are NOT delayed
- If school has 1/2 day, it is a full day with us
- Our goal is to build responsibility in your student
- It is your student’s responsibility to notify us if they will not be here BEFORE the school day
- School comes first
Class Day Objectives
- Students meet once per month, from August through March.
- Through activities, speakers and community visits, students will be able to meet the following objectives for each class day:
Our partnership with Amazon.com lets you get the things you need while giving back. Shop at Smile.Amazon.com, select Leadership Hendricks County Inc. and a percent will be donated to Leadership Hendricks County.